30 babies and toddlers go to the hospital with a hot drink burn every day
Resources (videos, posters, fliers etc) To Help You Reduce The Number of Children Burned By Hot Drinks Every Year
Burn First Aid
20 minutes under cool running water
Call for medical help. 999 or NHS Direct (111 or 0845 4647 in Wales)
Cover the burn with loose strips of cling film
Hot drink danger
Did you know that babies and toddlers have much thinner skin than adults? This means that a hot drink can cause a serious burn, even 30 minutes after you made it!
SafeTea was a national campaign to raise awareness of the risk of hot drink burns to young children, giving practical tips on how to prevent them, and improve burn first aid.
The target audience is parents, grandparents and carers of young children.
SafeTea key messages
- Keep hot drinks away from young children
- Don’t pass hot drinks over children
- Never hold a baby and a hot drink at the same time
- Make a SafeTea zone: a safe place for hot drinks at home, out of reach of small children
- First aid for burns is: COOL, CALL, COVER
Please note: This website is now managed by The Scar Free Foundation rather than the project researchers and is not regularly updated. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding the site.